Tuesday, 1 March 2011

Standard Interim Maintenance Phase DONE!!

Toby's bloods were taken on Sunday 27 February and the results showed we could head to Auckland the next day for Day 41 of the SIM phase (the SIM phase has 56 days).  There was a bit of drama trying to get to Auckland as (I think) due to the Christchurch earthquakes there were no flights left on the Monday morning to get us to our appointment by 10am, so we managed to book a flight to Auckland on the Sunday night and booked a night at Ronald McDonald House.  The DHB paid for a support person again this time to come with me because of Toby being in the cast, so Bevan came with us :)

Our consultant decided again that it wasn't possible to give Toby the Chemo via Lumbar Puncture because of the cast, but he still had the IV Chemo and that all went well.  Toby will have an extra Lumbar Puncture at a later stage to catch up on the one he has missed.

We are due back in Auckland on Monday 14th March when we begin the next phase called Standard Delayed Intensification.  This phase lasts for 8 weeks (56 days) and brings with it some new drugs that Toby hasn't had before.  These are the drugs he will have during this phase:

Dexamethasone (taken orally)
Thioguanine (taken orally)
Vincristine (IV)
Doxorubicin (IV)
Cytarabine (IV)
Cyclophosphamide (IV)
Peg-Asparaginase (injected into the leg muscle)
Methotrexate (injected into the spine)

On a lighter note - we don't get to see many famous people down here in little old HB so it's a big deal when I see someone off the TV!!  This time I saw Mark Ellis :) :)  Other people I have seen over the last few months are Rhys Darby, Dave Dobbyn and Annabelle White the cook from the Good Morning Show!!  I get so excited lol.

No comments:

Post a Comment