Friday, 13 April 2012

Just trucking along.........

Since last time I wrote Toby has had his usual monthly chemo via IV at Hastings Hospital in February and again in March. 

On April 11th and 12th he had the usual 3 monthly clinic appointment, chemo via IV and chemo via Lumba Puncture - all went well.  His Neutrophils (immunity) was up quite high, so his daily Mercaptopurine (chemo) tablet dose was increased to 100% of what his body should be able to tolerate, so here's hoping that doesn't make things go backwards.

Toby has been doing really well lately (apart from that annoying cough that sounds like a chainsaw and never goes away).  He's well and truly just like any other 3 1/2 year old - energetic, cheeky as and full of attitude and mischief!! 

There are no words to explain how much I love him and how amazing I think he is.  It's hard not to dwell on the last 18 months and think about how much the poor little bugger has missed out on and why this hideous illness picked on him :(

I have heard of and met so many newly diagnosed kids lately and also heard of so many kids that we met at the beginning of our journey that have either passed away or that have relapsed and it's hard not to let that make me think "what if" which up until now I have blocked out, probably because Toby has been so well and all of a sudden something happens to make you realise that this is serious and that he is really vulnerable.  It's like a scary nightmare that you are just begging to wake up from.  Hopefully one day it will actually feel like that is what's happened and it will all be a distant memory, but for now I just have to take what comes my way and make sure I cherish each and every day.

2 comments:

  1. Oh Jodes, I don't even know what to say but still wanted to comment! You're so strong, you really are, so to have these feelings sometimes are totally fine, and you're absolutely entitled. Thinking of you as always and sending you a big hug xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your reassuring words Kirst xx I feel so bad for feeling sorry for myself and Toby sometimes as compared to some of the other cancer families we have met we have it good!!! I'm feeling better this week, probably becasue we got away on holiday :) I hope all is well with you and Maddox. Thanks again for making me feel better xoxoxox

    ReplyDelete